The question is as old as ever – “Which supplements should I buy?” If you can get the basics right, then the other supplements you buy will be added benefits to your hours spent in the gym.
- Multivitamin: This is crucial to ensure that you are getting the necessary requirements for your body to function. Although, consideration must be taken avoid any potential allergies that you may have to the ingredients in the tablet because this could result in an allergic reaction. It is also vital to make sure that you don’t have any pre-existing medical conditions that may result in your body failing to absorb some of the ingredients.
- Glutamine: The human body is unable to make enough of this essential amino acid, especially when training hard. When you are stressed (or working out as this is stressful to your body), hormonal responses occur and glutamine is released from the muscles which can lead to dehydration. Dehydration has a catabolic effect on muscle gains which is exactly what we are trying to avoid.
- Whey Protein: This macro is crucial to building muscle and since it is quite difficult to reach your daily targets by just eating food, this powder form makes a gym-goer’s life easier. You should just make sure that the type of whey is optimal for your goals – things to consider are BCAA profiles, taste, ease of use, digestibility etc.
- Creatine: The purity of this product is important – creatine monohydrate is best in powder form as a post workout shake.
- ZMA: (Zinc, magnesium and aspartate) It is considered a basic by some, but a necessity by others, however it boosts natural testosterone levels to their max.
- Thermogenics: When trying to lose weight, a fat burner is highly recommended because coupled with a proper diet, sufficient cardio and weight training, fat loss will be at a higher rate.